17November2017

Board Meeting Minutes from April 7, 2015

Mission Statement - Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming. Vision Statement - Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by the example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems, to ensure that all humans and other living species on earth move toward a higher quality of life, and are able to survive challenges in the times ahead.
 
MINUTES
Redwood Community Radio – Board of Directors
Tues., Apr. 7, 2015 – 3:30 pm
Healy Sr. Ctr., Redway, CA
I.Call to order: Meeting ground rules; opening comments from the President.
II.Roll call:  MEMBERS’ REPS – President Siena Klein, Julia Minton, Cody “Comfy” Dillon. PROGRAMMERS’ REPS – Bud Rogers [arrived about 5], Secretary Jack Frybulous, Vice-president Dan Murphy. BOARD-APPOINTED – Christine Doyka, Mark Marchese. Station Manager Jeanette Todd (ex-officio).
III.Approval of (February and March) minutes. Jack moved to approve, Christine seconded; unanimously approved. Dan moved to approve Sarah as Treasurer, Jack seconded; unanimously approved.
IV.Approval of agenda. Jack added to New Business item E. – Reducing risk of violence at the station, and removed Closed Session.
Christine moved to approve the amended agenda, Cody seconded; unanimously approved.
V.Open time – Maureen Kane is tired of drug busts & car crashes, and asks for more good news, local & global. Emma Nation found that we serve one of the poorest counties in California, wants to hear programming that “targets the underprivileged”. / Working with Maureen on a mission to better ID the broadcast needs of our community. / Also on a positive news program. / Organizing a meeting for northern listeners. Betty Miller - Volunteer ‘91-‘04; reporter ‘93-‘98; member since ’91. Listening to news less and less, because less and less local, with items [e.g.] about Crescent City, Ukiah Valley. Last Wed and Fri “no local news at all.” Said KMUD is doing this to “expand the number of subscribers” and make [newer subscribers] feel that their community is being heard from. / Broadcasts feel inauthentic, sound intermittent and mechanical, and lack context. / It’s not possible to provide competent news coverage of this four-county area. “There are many ways programming could include and hear from other parts of the listening area without replacing the local news”. / For 20 years the news was produced by 1½ full-time [“4 days, 32 hrs/wk”] staffers. Station would save $30K/yr if reporters were paid $20/hr. / Asked that open, public discussion of Board, Staff, Volunteers and Listener/Members take place about the commitment to local news. / If local news is being abandoned, be upfront about it. Jeanette said Betty’s comments would be added to the news surveys, and reminded that this was the point of doing a survey. Dan suggested a “discussion over the airwaves”. Volunteer, Member Jama Chaplin [“past Board, Finance and Policy Com member”]. Mentioned Fitch funds, and expressed thanks for the list of expenditures (in packet); ADA work, doors, etc. Heating and A/C to be installed in Music Library [not approved]. If approved, Fitch funds would be spent, or nearly so. Congrats on passage of Fair Access to the Airwaves, hopes talk-show hosts have been informed. Importance of financial emergencies policy, a message from past Boards: be prepared. Past practice has been to borrow from supporters, (e.g., after the signal upgrade, and “two other times before that”). Said Policy calls for a lenders’ list, asks Treasurer to review and establish contact. Requested dispostion on following topic only: Proposed changes in Election policy. 2 suggestions: no ballots to be put in boxes in kitchen; pass motion tonight that this year’s elections are an experiment. Mark spoke in response to proposed changes in Election. [Also present: BR, Donna King.]
VI.Management report – Many things on compliance calendar will need extensions. All CPB deadlines will be late, so funds coming July or later. Will need extensions for 990 and other IRS-related docs. Next Tues. Strategic Plan discussion with Board and Staff, partially to resolve any misunderstandings over the plan. News survey results announced. / Biggest event of the year Spec! Spec!; business support $4K + 200 @ $100 tix sold. / Apr 25, Jack Flaws showing Prairie Home Companion at station. / On the last Friday of the drive, Mateel ticket packages for SAMF and ROTR prizes. Goal $85K. $20K already received! We earned $22K from the March mini-drive! No thank-you gifts made it a quick and easy drive. “For the record”: March is better for mini-drives than February; last year’s drive [2/14] brought in $18K. / May 2: Dazey Days Bar + Funk Carnival, hoping to bill it as the “Official Dazey Day’s After-Party”! / Mark asked about money coming in online [$250 during last 4-day drive]. / Block Party May 16; Bud’s got bands. SAMF 5/30, 31. Mickey Dulas Coffee coordinator. Table blitz, 12 minimum, although concerns about drawing Vols away fm working on Drive. / Trainings continue and always full. / Finished 2nd round Info brochure, and Bequest brochure. / New car donations materials are in. / Made list for Cody of station’s needs: Fitch, what’s approved, etc. / Stalemate on 2011 FCC enforcement hold. / Panorama over! DonorSnap. We should launch a campaign, apologize to members for how long it took, and how much we appreciate them. / Finances: leveled out, with a more dedicating fund-raising schedule. Biggest challenge: create new revenue streams, a procedure that should be easily explainable. Cash-flow snapshot. / Terri asked to stay until December. Mark Sternfield [mid-‘90s UW rep] was recognized, and asked about vendors and road closure for Block party. The road will again be closed, although hard to find enough volunteers to make that happen. Said that everyone is pushing sustaining membership, we should too. / Dan asked why Terri stayed; Jeanette said she was concerned to see KMUD through the fire-season. / Dan: New database means “let the reserve grow”!
VII.Discussion / questions for Management
 
VIII.Consent calendar
 
IX.Finance Com. report
X.Unfinished business
A. Rivendell Automation project – budget. Recommended by Finance. Simon will do 30-day trial; Cynthia and Terri will work with him on it. No money will be spent till after 30-day trial.
Dan moved to approve spending up to $7K on Rivendell, Jack seconded; unanimously approved.
Cody mentioned that $6K had been the original amount discussed. Jeanette pointed out that with the bad weather, we had to program a 12-hour block, missed station IDs.
B. Approval process re: Policy 2.4.1, Board committees – letter of intent. The Policy Com. decided to detract the policy that’d been put forth.
C. New policy 2.4.1 [as addressed above].
D. New policy 5.1.1.1 – Anti-violence – A form needs to be created before this policy will be re-submitted at the next Board meeting.
E. Election process stream-lining. Jack and Mark talked about this. Jama pointed out we should have a motion.
Jack moved that the Membership meeting be set for June 4, and that this year’s elections be held out of policy and by-laws. Christine seconded; unanimously approved.
F. Survey results re: News – committee assignment. Jeanette: Online survey? / Dan asked that the News Director do a presentation for Transition Com on what she got from the survey. Dan said that Terri reported this morning that ppl want more so-Hum-centric reporting, and happier news. Sarah commented that 200 responses out of 3000 surveys sent out is a pretty high rate of return. JT asked what are we hiring Terri’s replacement to do? Do a half-hour of news five times a week? Or be the News Director? Or be a part-anchor with a partner? The survey is helping us resolve this. JT says it’s not reasonable to ask busineses to underwrite us, while we won’t report on them. And we want to broadcast in other areas to show how media can do better; we are setting an example of what community radio can be. Sarah says a positive vibe is important: ignoring drug-busts, e.g., except where kids are affected, or that have a large environmental impact. That would minimize a lot of out-of-the-area reporting. Sarah and Siena agree that the survey results should be used to conduct the next one. Cody asked does the News have its own mission statement? (No.) Drug busts vs. the drug war. We need to balance entertaining, informing, and inspiring. JT said Transition will use the survey to figure out who to hire, and plan a community meeting to make decisions about how to hire the next person. The other part of the survey results would be really appropriate for the Membership meeting.
G. Strategic plan. Siena sent out a Kiley group doc. Marcy had recommended Kiley group in 2013. JT: Pick the best one, and apply for a grant. Dan said he liked the mission statements from Bend and WXXI.
 
XI.New business 
A. Confirm Sarah Scudder as Treasurer-elect (see item III)
B. Consider date / place Board-Staff retreat.
Jack moved we discuss this at Tuesday’s meeting, Dan seconded; unanimously approved.
C. On-site caretaker. Dan: Is it a good idea? Bud: build a tiny house in back. Jack asked that the legal (and personnel) issues be researched. Siena proposed that the Mateel and Beginnings be approached for info. Dan made a motion [he later withdrew] that the Board ask the Grounds Com to investigate this issue, and present the Board with more information, and possibly a proposal. Bud said he would be glad to follow up on county policies that deal with dangerous ppl. Cody moved to start an email thread asking what questions the Grounds Com. should ask regarding on-site caretaking; Jack seconded; unanimously approved.
D. Station manager evaluation results will be available a week before the next meeting. We’ll need a closed session at the start of our next meeting, and will relay to her our feedback. 
E. Reducing risk of violence at station. Dan: affecting a lot of Redway businesses. JT: We need to take back our front yard; when we start barricading the bldg instead of at the road, we’ve given up that territory. Consider solar gates with codes. Dan agrees, and reminded that late-night programmers have complained about this a long time. Jeanette: During the day, staff calls Sheriff. County mental health used to be called, but they have said they don’t have the staff. We can’t let visitors be endangered. Seed issue: Programmers aren’t sure who should be there; they do have the power to ask someone to leave. Dan suggested this as [ACTION] a topic for next Programmers’ meeting, and asked: Would a gate affect our ability to make good radio? JT said she left last night at 11 and homeless guy had been knocking on windows for an hour asking for stuff. Mark talked about motion lights. Jack: we’re not only blocking [name redacted]; we need to be seen doing something. Cody: neighborhood kids use the back-yard as a short-cut, we don’t want to lock them out; kids are our future. About a gate: the “problem people” are not driving in. Dan moved we direct the Grounds Com. to look into having access gates installed. Jack seconded; unanimously approved. Siena asked Jeanette what else we can do to reduce the risk of violence, who responded that County Mental Health had been asked to give a presentation to the staff, but CMH was unable to approve staff-time for this. Info about mental health has been shared with staff. Dan moved that Bud do more research on what can be done at the community level; Jack seconded. Unanimously approved. [Bud added he’d also talk to the Chamber of Commerce and Estelle.] Siena asked about the van abandoned in our lot; Jeanette said that BR accepted it from a homeless guy; Siena suggested a lien-sale. Jack suggested we not involve BR in getting rid of the car. Siena volunteered to find out about lien-sales. Jama reminded “before the Block Party”!
 
XII.Committee Reports
A.Programmers’ Reps. Jacks said that Jeanette had instigated quarterly meetings of Programmers, that we are scheduling a meeting for May (after the pledge drive). We’ll need to make an agenda including new meeting rules, and station IDs (that Programmers could use to identify each other).
B.Members’ Reps. Siena: also looking forward to new database. (Jeanette said she didn’t get the last letter sent to Members and was like, “C’mon!!”)
C.Community Advisory Boards. Emma will schedule a meeting of the Northern CAB after the Pledge Drive. 
D.Correspondence Secretary. Christine was asked to write County Mental Health, Julia told her that their office is in dis-array, and so no letter was written. Jack: a letter should still be written at least to show we are doing something, for documentation purposes. Bud: cc Board of Supervisors, and County Counsel. Write first draft, and we’ll provide feedback. / Dan: inform audio engineer Dave Smith that we’re working on this issue. [Christine will inform Dave of the Board’s progress in dealing with this issue.] Sarah said her dad works at the Arcata Night Shelter and will email him asking if he might talk to us. Bud said he would ask Paul Encimer – in his capacity as a founder of CHILL – to address the Board. Jama reminded me to ask Christine to write a thank-you letter to Nella for her database work. Jeanette added Dazey’s supply for gifts and support. Siena asked Christine ACTION to ask us monthly who needs to be thanked.
E.Development: Jack finished the Info brochure with significant last-minute input from Cody; Simon Frech also suggested helpful revisions. / Goal of 40 tables, but problem of less manpower for drive. / Eureka Natural Foods is providing us with $10 gift certificates for all new members. / Cannabis leaf logo to give the next generation 5 reasons to love KMUD. (No work on matchbooks now with fire season coming up!) Two Golden Arms for this drive: one for prize, one for a big donor. / New highway signs are to be ordered. / Mark mentioned Cody’s idea which JT put together: Wish List. Cody: What can we get thru grants, or thru special promotions? Accomplish goals a couple at a time. / Jeanette asked asked about the budget for Cuzzin Marks’ party. Dan explained that KMUD is asked to pay up to $1000 for food; Julia has taken care of the Bar. Dan will ask Mateel to partially waive some fees ($150 clean-up + $500 for Saturday rental). Sarah suggested a raffle. Dan says it’s more a memorial than a fund-raiser. JT suggested if it were annual, we should make it April so as to not be so close to the Block Party; (Marc’s birthday is first week in April). Bud, re: Block Party, bands: Gardner and Friends, Peter Childs, Three-Legged Dog, Marjo wilson Band from Covelo. Lengthy discussion on renting vs. buying tents.
F.Policy – talk of changes to Grievance panel policy, looking at “one-sided grievances”. Jeanette: the related anti-bullying policy changes are still being worked on; in cases where one party is unwilling to mediate, they could go to Grievance and still be heard and documented. Emma was recognized, and allowed to talk about ex parte, that both parties should be informed [they would be].
G.Mediation – A mediation was recently completed. Regular meeting in June. Jama asked if there would be an election for the seat to which Noel was appointed, or was her appointment permanent. Dan suggested asking Noel. Siena will put out a list of names and terms of members.
H.Emergency Preparedness. Cody: said we should have a policy that says we own the air-waves, in the event of martial law. Bud talked about the need for an independent mobile unit. Jeanette will send an email to ID members for this committee; Cody is willing to chair.
I.Management Evaluation.
J.Transition Com. – Met and talked about News Dept. May meet again next week. Siena asked about working toward minimizing the staff budget. Jeanette: it’s always the goal to streamline the budget. If we had a more constant staff, we’d have a more constant budget.
K.Elections.
L.Networking. Jack and Siena tabling in Mendocino Apr 29 – May 1.
 
M. Grounds. Dan: had a great work day, and grounds were cleaned up! Cody: Railings on both porches need adjustments. Dan: Power-pole over line has been pecked away. Jeanette will call PG&E, and suggests locking up spigots. Cody suggests a grounds shed, and new lawn mower. Siena isn’t sure if she can get rid of van in time, and will call Don’s to see about getting it towed.
 
XIII.Schedule - Committee meetings 
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
If you plan on attending a meeting, it would be wise to confirm no changes have taken place.
A.Board of Directors 1st Tues., 3:30 pm (Healy Sr. Ctr.)
B.Development 1st Mon., 3 pm
C.Executive Mon., Apr 13, 11:30 (normally 2nd Tuedays)
D.Policy 2nd Mon., 1 pm (time for this month only)
E.Program Selection 2nd + 4th Tues., 1 pm
F.Finance Apr 14, 3 pm (normally 3rd Tuesdays)
G.Board talk show 2nd Wed. (Apr., Jul., Oct., Jan.) – Christine and Bud to host.
H.Board / Staff meetingTues., Apr 14, 11 am.
 
This meeting lasted 3h, 10m (excl. a break for dinner).
Agenda submitted by the Secretary on 12 May, 2015.
 
Last modified on Wednesday, May 13, 2015
by acls us
by acls us

Our Mission and Vision

Vision Statement: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems to ensure that all human and other living species on earth move toward higher quality of life and are able to survive the challenges in the times ahead.

Mission Statement: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.

listenlive  

 

Redwood Community Radio, Inc. • PO Box 135 - 1144 Redway Dr. • Redway, CA 95560 • Office (707) 923-2513 • News (707) 923-2605 • Studio (707) 923-3911