Club Mud and Music Junkie Support Group, currently airing at 10 am will now be heard 1 to 3 pm.
Meanwhile, Fat Mud and Tubby Tunes, currently airing at 1 pm will now be heard 3 to 5:30 pm.
VISION Statement - Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by the example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems, to ensure that all humans and other living species on earth move toward a higher quality of life entertain, and are able to survive challenges in the times ahead.
MISSION - Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, and inspire the listening community through quality programming.
Redwood Community Radio - Board of Directors
Jan. 6, 2015 – 3:30 pm
Healy Senior Center, Redway, CA
I. Call to order: Meeting ground rules; opening comments from the President
II. Roll call: MEMBERS’ REPS – President Siena Klein, Julia Minton, Cody Dillon. PROGRAMMERS’ REPS – Secretary Jack Frybulous, Vice-president Dan Murphy, [one vacancy]. BOARD-APPOINTED – Christine Doyka, Mark Marchese. [Search to identify a Treasurer ongoing.] Station Manager Jeanette Todd (ex-officio).
III. Approval of (November) minutes. Jack moved to approve, Dan seconded. Yea: Christine, Cody, Dan, Jack, Siena. Abstained: Julia, Mark. Approved.
IV. Approval of agenda: Add to New Business: 1) Appoint Larry Bruckenstein to a 2nd term, Grievance Committee. 2) Appoint Emma to chair CAB North. Jack moved to approve, Cody seconded. Unanimously approved.
V. Open time – Present: Bettye Etter, Bud Rogers, Cynthia Click, Emma Nation, Jack Flaws, Judith Whitlow, Paul Encimer, Sam Meyers, Simon Frech.
Emma explained that she was present her son former KMUD and WOR-FM programmer Sam Meyers to film the meeting, to be used as KMUD promotional material. She also presented a report from a recent meeting of the CAB North that she had organized. Bettye has been a programmer for 25 yrs, a Board member for three, head of CAB West (6 members); she came to discuss changes in policy re: volunteering. During her first 20 years, volunteers were required to do [she thought] 10-12 hrs/yr. 8 hrs/yr are now being proposed. Two policies she had objected to were passed: that Programmers didn’t need to be members, and that they could not be forced to volunteer. She felt this experiment had gone “horribly”, that we do not have enough volunteers. It’s time to bring back a policy requiring Programmers to volunteer. “We should say [to anyone who objects] thank you for your time served. We’ll get someone who will volunteer, since this is a volunteer station.” Asked for help in counting “Celebration” ballots. Simon introduced a proposal for purchase of an automation system [to replace less reliable over-usage of iTunes], to facilitate playing back pre-recorded material, e.g. promos and PSAs. [Music director Cynthia interjected that a Programmer opening the iTunes store one night shut down the station, and described the proposed system as a money-saving life-saver that could even be run from home.] Simon: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need: [popularized by] Karl Marx. Spoke in favor of volunteer hours, but that we should be flexible. Thought that asking 12 hrs/yr was not a lot. Paul would never sign an agreement with a mandatory element. [Former station manager Michael] Jacinto let Programmers sign their own agreements. Only Programmers know anything about KMUD. They are KMUD; Board and Staff mean very little. No one is aware of spectrum of volunteer opportunities, so they can't be expected to agree to volunteer. Programmers need to be matched with abilities. Telephone volunteers; no one reads emails. Inabilities or inefficiencies of Staff should not be "visited upon" the Volunteers, who should not be called upon to make up for mistakes of staff, who should be used more efficiently before "fingers get waved" at Programmers. Advocated a gentler approach: "we need or expect you to volunteer more time, think about it." "As soon as you tell me I have to do something, I'm not gonna do it. And there's a lot of people like me." Believes sympathy will be with Programmers - who say "Why are we being screwed when we do all this time on our shows?" - not with the Board. Dan replied that we are open to editing the Agreement; the word “mandatory” was never used. Siena pointed out a list of volunteer opportunities is being made up. Jack Flaws: Programmers should stop blocking progress; have more respect for the manager. Jeanette read into the record Kelley Lincoln’s comment that there should be more time on the Programmers’ Agreement, not less. And one from Agnes Patak, who is in favor of required volunteer time for Programmers. A statement regarding station finances written by Jama Chaplin was read [see addendum]. Siena suggested that a reply to Jama could come out of the next Finance meeting; Julia said that Jeanette had addressed Jama’s points in an email, and [in reply to Jama’s request that year-end financials be considered] pointed out that policy calls for the Board to approve the Budget by Dec. 1, that the budget had never been approved on time. Jeanette hoped that the Board would feel confident to vote since members had been participating in the budget-making and –review process.
VI. Management report Vacation paid out, COLA instated. Payroll and tax deposits are on par for wrap-up and transmission to auditor. Networking Com. will use the Celebration Appreciation (Jan. 15) as our regularly scheduled opportunity to solicit Board and CAB members. We did a live-stream at the Emerald Cup, which gave us a $3000 gift. $900 in merch sold. Can we do fewer than 4 drives and still raise $250K/yr? Mateel Manager Justin Crellin will approach his Board for leniency on festival fees KMUD is charged. Julia: update on donor base transfer. Nella is out of town for about three weeks. The transfer from the old to the new db is very close to happening. ACTION – ask Nella submit invoice for donation of her services (for enhanced CPB funding). Jeanette: Our license renewal, due last August, has an enforcement hold, due to a 2011 listener-complaint about something a DJ said. CPB has changed the way they pay out. 2nd disbursement now comes after Audited Financial Report is submitted, ours usually completed by June or July. Terri suggested a Hiring Com, including a community member, to ID her replacement, who should be in place by August.
VII. Discussion / questions for Management Cody asked about our moving the Public File online. Jeanette said the FCC is looking into this, but no changes yet. Jack asked if KMUD might benefit from KHSU’s approach to drives (“hitting listeners over the head with successive drives,” then asking them to phone in their donations during a much shorter drive). [Former Board member] Marcy [Stein] seems willing to continue work on the Transition Com.
VIII. Consent calendar
A. COLA – 2nd consideration.
B. Newsroom autonomy, policy 7.2. – 2nd consideration.
C. Policy on use of reserves – 2nd consideration, with last word changed to “proposal.”
D. Marcy Stein’s resignation is confirmed
E. Committee appointments
IX. Finance Com. report ACTIONS – Staff is requested to separate car- from cash-donations. Julia sat with Robie for over 2 hours, thinks that some of our financial history could be re-visited and de-mystified, which she doesn’t think she can do, since she’s been in the middle of it; she’s unaware of questions people have, or what could be further clarified.
X. Unfinished business
A. Fairness Doctrine (see JT for proper draft version). Most recent edit was that complaints must be submitted in writing. Jeanette suggested it be tabled. Jack so moved, Dan seconded, passed unanimously.
B. Revising Management Evaluation procedures. Dan suggests two different evaluations, the one we use now which takes months, plus a shorter evaluation that staff and Board members would do annually. This committee meets Jan. 14, 4 pm. Dan moved to table, Julia seconded. Unanimous.
C. Vice-president’s job description. Tabled, but “taking notes at Board meetings on behalf of those absent, and overseeing CABs” will be added. Dan moved to table, Julia seconded, unanimous.
D. Stream-lining elections process. Policy working on this, reviewing Marcy’s recently submitted report. Jack moved to table, Julia seconded, unanimously passed.
E. Budget approval. In recent years, the Board annually approved a revised budget; total wages needs further review. The expense portion is what it takes (i.e., the minimum) to run the station. Reducing more than what’s here would be noticeable to everyone, incl. listeners. Dan moved to approve, Christine seconded, passed unanimously. Cody pointed out that the amount for news stringers (line 63) had been reduced $5000, but not included in this draft; so added. Dan moved to approve the budget, Christine seconded. Discussion: Jack asked Julia to address Jama’s observations; she felt that she had already done so. Jeanette replied. Jack asked how much year-end cash we had: Jeanette said $169,249. Unanimously approved. Julia pointed out that policy dictates a mid-year budget review.
F. Programmers’ Agreement. A comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities including about 75 items is being finished. Jeanette pointed out that the Agreement was mostly written by Programmers! And a lot of it is what the FCC requires of us when we are on the air. It is not the programmers’ choice to write any kind of agreement they want. She is not personally committed to any language, and does not want a hard-line. (Historical perspective: JT said Jim Keyser said that the Agreement comes from the time after the FCC no longer required programmers to have an FCC license, and to have on them when on-air proof of their having been certified.) Due to the upcoming Programmers’ Meeting, Jack moved to table; Dan seconded, passed unanimously.
G. Search for a Treasurer – update. Dan suggests ACTION – sending to Policy a re-write of the Treasurer’s job description. ACTION – Re-start promos for Treasurer, CABs.
XI. New business
Note: Julia departed 40 minutes prior to meeting’s end.
A. Cuzzin Marc Memorial fund-raiser. Dan suggests making this more of a local event, rather than spending a lot of money to get someone like George Clinton. Cody suggested getting him to do an interview. NPK, Motherlode, New Master Sounds, Camo Cowboys. The Mateel has been booked for April 4.
B. After a secret ballot, Bud Rogers is appointed as a Programmer’s Rep to serve out Marcy’s term. Jack said for the record that some Programmers felt they had not been approached regarding this vacancy; Bud was approached because of the interest in serving he showed by running in the last election. Bud reminded the Board that both he and Marcy Stein had expressed an interest in serving after Nella resigned, and the Board had at that time chosen Marcy. Bud had previously served 3 years, just prior to the signal upgrade.
C. Appoint Larry Bruckenstein (Dan: former game warden, highly respected individual, his neighbor) to a 2nd term on Grievance Com. Jack so moved, Christine seconded, unanimously approved.
D. Appoint Emma to chair northern CAB. Jack moved, Dan seconded; unanimously approved.
XII. Committee Reports
A. Programmers’ Reps. – Programmers’ meeting Jan. 24, 1 pm.
B. Members’ Reps. Info from survey coming shortly.
C. Community Advisory Boards. Emma’s report was submitted. Bettye to supply one Feb. 6. Dan says Suzie in Ft. Bragg is excited to get started.
D. Correspondence Secretaries
E. Development: The bequest brochure is being worked on, to be coupled with on-air promotions, how to get more participation through targeted monthly campaigns coupled with trainings and workshops.
i. Pledge Drive
H. Emergency Preparedness – A quote was solicited from Green Wired to enhance solar system re: emergency prep to handle a loss of power. Cody said Simon said we own a ham radio, and asked if we should organize a training.
I. Management Evaluation – Four of the 5 members will attend the next meeting.
K. Elections start with the Board appointing an Election Com at its March meeting.
L. Networking – outreach to Shelter Cove, and at Celebration Appreciation: each Board member will approach five prospective Treasurer candidates.
XIII. Schedule - monthly meeting times of Committees
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
If you plan on attending a meeting, it would be wise to confirm no changes have taken place.
A. Board of Directors 1st Tues., 3:30 pm – Healy Senior Center
B. Development 1st Mon., 3 pm
C. Executive 2nd Tues. – Jan. 13 – 11:30 am
D. Finance 3rd Tues. – Jan. 20 – 3 pm
E. Policy 2nd Mon. – Jan. 12 – 10 am
F. Board talk show Jan. 14 – Dan, Bud, Jack
G. Board / Staff meeting 3rd Tues. – Jan. 27 – 10:30 am
H. Program Selection 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, 1 pm
I. Transition Com. Fri., Jan. 9, 10 am
This meeting lasted 3 hrs., 12 mins.
Minutes submitted by the Secretary 9 Feb., 2015