28August2014

Board Meeting Minutes from September 24, 2013

You can download these minutes as a pdf here
VISION Statement: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by the example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems, to ensure that all humans and other living species on earth move toward a higher quality of life, and are able to survive challenges in the times ahead.
MISSION: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.
MINUTES
Board of Directors - Redwood Community Radio
Tues., 24 Sep., 2013 – 4 pm
Healy Senior Center - Redway, CA
I.Call to Order: Start of meeting was delayed ½ hour due to lack of quorum. Opening comments from the President. 
II.Roll Call: President Siena Klein, Members’ Rep.; Secretary Jack Frybulous, Programmers’ Rep.; Marcy Stein, Programmers’ Rep.; Mark Marchese, Board-appointed; Jeanette Todd (ex-officio), Station Manager. Christine Doyka is appointed at the beginning of this meeting. Absent: Treasurer Julia Minton, Members’ Rep.; Nella White, Members’ Rep. Late: Kim Peterson, Board-appointed; Vice President Noel Soucy, Programmers’ Rep. Others present: Jama Chaplin
III.Approval of Minutes – Marcy moved to approve the versions of July and August minutes that are in the Board Packet. Approved. 
IV.Approval of Agenda – KP moved that the Board add to the agenda “filling Antonia Lamb’s seat;” (since Antonia died Sept. 9); MS seconded. Marcy expressed appreciation of Antonia, and moment of silence was observed. Marcy moved that the appointment of David Ordonez to the Grievance Panel be considered at the next meeting. Agenda approved as amended. 
V.Open Time – At the discretion of the President, five minutes will be allowed for those wishing to address the Board.
JC reported that former President Suzanne Beers will be attending Antonia’s memorial. She requested that the Board consider having the Winter Holiday Appreciation Party in January. She asked whether we could cut costs by letting go of our NFCB membership, noting that there are Spinitron issues involved. 
VI.Election of Board Member to fill Vacancy – MS moved to elect Christine Doyka to fill Antonia’s seat; JF seconded. CD is elected unanimously and seated.
 
 
VII.Management Report – see also written report in Public File. KBOO “Family Values” discussion about working parts of this into Policy. NPR “Social media and ethics.” Silent drive letter in the packet. JT has written 3 airlines asking for tickets. World Radio Network has begun on HD2, but no contract yet. Staff can borrow radios to listen to HD2 stream. Battle of the Rock Bands and Halloween Boogie both upcoming. Underwriting for Emerald Cup to total $3000 over next 3 months. North Country Fair: Volunteer Coordinator Kerry Morgan was out all last week, but JT followed through with a pared-down operation; very disorganized; break even or possibly lose ~ $200. Impressed with Aug. pledge drive, “Take Five.” Fall trainings, volunteer orientations. Programmer meetings TBA for 2014. No movement on database, DonorSnap. ADA upgrade moving along nicely. Underwriting revenue still going up -- re-working schedule is bearing fruit. Barb Truitt working today on cash-flow projections. The budget we approved last month; JM mentioned excess spending in News Dept. Antonia’s memorial Oct. 19. $750/year to be cost of WRN. Budget last year $1500 for a Winter Party. SK suggests if party to be held at Beginnings: no live band.
VIII.Discussion / Questions for Management
 
IX.Consent Calendar – At MM’s request item A (Officer and Committee Appointments), is moved to Unfinished Business; items B and C are tabled until October, since the documents to be approved aren’t ready. 
 
X.Finance Committee Report - JT thinks we will bring in $80K to $90K in the Fall Pledge Drive. Creative ideas needed to find another $50K, but no momentum. Board must realize this money may not come forward: what we will do to make it up? Task and form a Committee with that? Ask Finance? SK suggests Board members attend Finance Cmte. JT suggests a deadline, next Board meeting. JC suggests Development Cmte. JT looking for direction from Board. Marcy reminds us we spend $300K/year on staff, must look at ways to reduce. JT doesn’t disagree, and thinks we need brainstorming sessions to think outside the box. JT asks for direction on where to go next. Noel suggests we consider a business venture. 
 
JF asks JT to present us with some options. SK: campaign to ask people who don’t pay taxes to donate; how encourage younger listeners? Closed session next meeting to discuss options. JC: CPB requires we have two full-time positions, one in programming. June and Aug. Board packets include CPB rules. Terri Klemetson,is changing her schedule. CPB gives us $135K, comes with a lot of red tape, and covers about half of staff costs.
 
 
JC: signal upgrade requires us to fulfill CPB Community Service Grant requirements for ten years. JT: yes, from Nov. 30, 2012. Development Cmte. will discuss. JC: $67K (unofficial reserve), down to $50K; Fitch estate a different thing, which is thought of for tech needs and building projects. JT, in response to MM: All silver was sold, with one IOU pending; proceeds going to Music Library fund.
XI.Unfinished Business
A.Appointment to Central Community Advisory Board (CAB) – Vote to appoint Rick Cooper. JF moves we vote, MS seconded. Board votes not to appoint. CD (as Correspondence Secretary) will inform him in writing.
B.Tech proposal – Equipment is heating up too often; JT will get a cooling system quote. NS moves to table, JF seconded, Unanimous.
C.Holiday party – Siena wants to see last year’s figures. Jack thinks the holiday party would be great before Xmas, Hanukah. JT will poll about dates and get back to us. Tabled.
D.Policy revision – Fair Access to Airwaves (FAA). JC gave some history: the former Fairness Doctrine law, and our current FD policy, stated that talk show hosts had to present all sides of an issue. The current practice is more like making room for other opinions to be expressed on a call-in show, which she finds preferable. But talk-show hosts don’t always take calls. JT: ethics of call-in talk hosts and community journalism. Questions about individual hosts’ ethics; its relation to our core values. Important for hosts to ID themselves, as well as how they’re affiliated with the topic. Host ethics not yet made into policy. SK reminds us: NW said we be more pro-active in suggesting programming. JC: The title is also a rough draft; another concept is “All Opinions Allowed On-air.” The Fair Access title also implies that it will get into who is invited to become a programmer. MM moves we review the FAA, discuss it in email, and Policy Com do further work. NS seconded. Unanimous.
E.Officer and Committee Appointments. NS moves we approve Board officer appointments (see Roll Call), with the addition of CD in both Correspondence Secretary roles; JF seconded. Unanimous. NS moves to table Committee appointments till next month. Unanimous. 
 
XII.New Business
A.Strategic Planning Meeting Outcome and Report – JT and NW received report (notes from flip-chart paper) from Barb Truitt, who suggests a professional facilitator for further progress. (Fund how?) JT points out Mission Statement is usually first step in making a Strategic Plan, and reminds the Board that the community wants RCR to have a Strategic Plan. JT reiterates that it’s important that we agree what our values are. What are we here to do? JF volunteers to be the Board Rep shepherding review of the Mission Statement. NS suggests Executive Com. take this on, and produce recommendation for whole Board. After discussion, NS moves we table this. 
B. Fall Pledge Drive Shortfall Contingency Plan – This was discussed under Finance Committee. 
C. Election of Board Member to fill Vacancy – See item VI. 
XIII.Reports
A. Programmers’ Reps – none
B. Members’ Reps – none
C. Community Advisory Boards (CAB’s) JT suggests we tell CAB to give us reports. NS will take this on.
D. Correspondence Secretaries. Siena reports that she thanked Rich Franciscovich for firefighting and grass cutting, the Mateel for loan of tents for Block Party, Marty Messenger for road signs, Dazey manager Darren Tomasini for a major discount on the pool, and Jim Lamport for help with elections. New Secretary CD will draft a thank you letter to Richard Parish for his report and for coordinating the Reggae coffee both, and circulate it for review. 
XIV.Other Committee Reports 
A.Development, including Pledge Drive Subcommittee. MS brings up Parish’s Coffee Booth report, and it was discussed.
B. Mediation – see report in Public File
C. Policy
D. Website – see report in Public File
E. Transition
F. Elections – see report in Public File
XV.Scheduling - monthly meeting times 
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
A.Development 1st Mon., 3 pm
B.Executive Mon., Oct. 7, 1 pm
C.Website Tues., Oct. 15, 10 am
D.Policy 2nd Thurs., 11:30 am
E.Finance 3rd Tues., 3 pm
F.Board of Directors 4th Tues., 5 pm - Healy Senior Ctr.
G.Board talk show Oct. 9: new members and Noel
 
 
Final minutes submitted by Secretary Jack Frybulous on 28 Jan., 2014
 
Last modified on Wednesday, January 29, 2014
by acls us
by acls us

Our Mission and Vision

Vision Statement: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems to ensure that all human and other living species on earth move toward higher quality of life and are able to survive the challenges in the times ahead.

Mission Statement: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.

listenlive  

 

Redwood Community Radio, Inc. • PO Box 135 - 1144 Redway Dr. • Redway, CA 95560 • Office (707) 923-2513 • News (707) 923-2605 • Studio (707) 923-3911